Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Here At The End Of All Things

Okay, so I'm going to attempt a brief explanation of the board game portion of the treasure hunt. This may require some explaining, but hopefully things will be clear when you see the board. Just trying to get some of our work done early, that's all...

The object of the game is to finish with the most points. There are four teams, each with a game piece. Teams will take turns rolling a die to move around the board. There will be four types of spaces teams can land on:

1. Direction spaces-These will direct teams to move their game piece backwards or forewards, result in a lost turn, ect. We may also have spaces that allow teams to switch places on the board with another team.

2. Trivia spaces-Teams must answer a Trivial Pursuit question to get 1 point. Categories may be determined by a variety of factors (color of space, number rolled, team choice, ect.).

3. Quick clues-When a team lands on one of these spaces, they will be asked all 6 questions on a Trivial Pursuit card. They will then be given a clue, with a time limit. They must get to the clue area and bring back proof that they found the spot (a small item hidden there, or a picture in some cases) within the time limit. If they do so, they will recieve one point for every question they got right on the initial TP card. Thus, a quick clue can be worth anywhere from 1 to 6 points. If a team fails to get any of the questions right, or goes over the time limit, they can still get one point just for finding the clue.

Most quick clues can be done by every team, if every team happens to land on them. Some, however, are one time only, first come first serve. If a team lands on a one time only clue that has already been found, they will be given a trivia question but no clue.

Each space corrresponds to a specific clue. No team can do the same quick clue twice; if a team does land on a quick clue space a second time (due to a direction space back/switch with another team), they will be given a trivia question instead of a clue.

4. Stop signs-The most important spaces. There will be three of these. Teams will stop moving once their game pieces reach one of these spaces until all teams have reached it. Each team will then be given the first clue in a short series of clues that will lead to the next board location. Each team will follow a separate path. We hope that they will be fairly equal. Teams will draw their first clue from a hat to determine their route. Points will be awarded at the next board location based on the order in which teams arrive.

The initial location will be revealed later.

As always, teams are encouraged to remember both good shoes and discretion. The hunt is scheduled to take place on August 25th and perhaps the 26th as well. Now, really, if you plan to participate please leave a comment.

Additional points will be rewarded for performance in a few physical challenges scattered through the hunt, and for a final lightning round of Lord of the Rings trivia. So bone up on the lay of Frodo of the 9 fingers and the Ring of Doom! Oh, and a lot of the clues have a LOTR bent to them as well. Just a heads up. Who here considers themselves fairly knowledgable or better in LOTR? We'd like to know, for team building purposes.

(P.S.: Matt Capelle had a very nice, if somewhat late, Lord of the Rings line the other night. He thought that when I heard Jason's team had attempted to scale a fence along Washington at 11:30 pm, I should have said "Fool of a Took!" It is an excellent phrase to use whenever someone does something foolish, and I wish I could have thought of it then.)

31 comments:

matt said...

i think you did an excellent job of explaining. and the lay of Frodo of the 9 fingers and the Ring of Doom is from the radio show, isn't it. and speaking of the ring of doom, its by my typewriter right now.

Hillstorm said...

I might have dance. I don't know the schedule but there is a block of time scheduled from the 21st to the 27th to dance.

constant_k said...

who says you can't dance and hunt treasure at the same time?

the dain train said...

i'll see what i can do for work, a lot of people are leaving because they have to go to college and we might be needing me more.

Hillstorm said...

Dain seriously, your eyes in that picture are freaky. You should get a new picture so it's not so creepy when I see your comments. Yeah...

the dain train said...

i hope this is better.

the dain train said...

you can't even see my eyes so you shouldn't complain, and if you do i will change it back to the one before.

the dain train said...

actually i don't like this picture, i'm changing it.

the dain train said...

ahh, this is better, me and my Excellence In Band plaque i got at the fine arts banquet.

matt said...

when i saw 10 comments left, i thought that they were all relevant. thank you dain for proving me incorrect.

Hillstorm said...

It was just the little yellow dots around your eyes that made you look like a demon of some sort. That is much better. Thanks!

the dain train said...

:)

constant_k said...

14 comments and nothing to show for it.

sherlock said...

Dain was a god possessing sparkly bird-like characteristics, not a demon, durr. This sounds pretty amazing! I have pretty decent Trivial Pursuit skills, I've read the trilogy like four times, and the Silmarillion twice, I have a pretty sweet LotR video game, and I'll probably review with the movies. Watch out, I'm knowledgable.
It's be sweet if it started in the afternoon on the 25th, I have a root canal scheduled for that day.

sherlock said...

In the morning, I mean

Hillstorm said...

You SOBs are lucky. I dance 22-24. haha

jobble said...

frigg I love the silmarillion, that is a good read.

constant_k said...

Wait, cameron, so is your root canal scheduled for the morning, or should we start the hunt in the morning? I'm a little confused.

We'll probably start around 10 or 12, but it would be easy for you to join us part way through. Sounds like you'll be a valuable resource to your team.

PBear said...

This sounds enjoyable. I've watched all three movies, but I'm no expert.

sherlock said...

I have it scheduled for 9:50. My only concern (because I had the first half yesterday) is that even after the 1+ hour dentistry, I'll be too numb to talk easily for about 4 hours. I really will not reach full performance until like 2 or 3 p.m.

the dain train said...

omg! there is a good chance i won't be able to make this! i most likely will have to work then, even if i could work the morning shift i wouldn't be done till 3:30. but there is a small chance that i will be able to make it, my boss is pretty cool with me about getting days off. but no promises.

Jason said...

I work Friday 4pm-9pm and Saturday 9am-3pm.

I've read the trilogy (long ago) and seen the extended versions of the movies, but I wouldn't say I'm an expert by any means.

I'd really love to do this one if it works with my schedule, though I might be able to pull some strings if push comes to shove.

Tay said...

i'm in, but what is the deal with teams? can we just form our own scrappy band of hunters?

constant_k said...

No, that wouldn't be fair. We need a little more of a solid list of contestants to make the teams, but I guess we can give it a shot tonight with what we have.

Jason said...

change of plans

11-4 Friday
9-3 Saturday

my evenings are open. this doesn't make things look too good for the TH, though.

constant_k said...

Okay houle, here's what you do. Tommorow you go in to work, find your boss, and say:

Take this job and shove it. I ain't workin' here no more.

Jason said...

If you guys give me a tentative scheduling/timing for the hunt, I can try to work around it. Those are, however, my last two days of work. I could call in sick... twice... and get away with it fairly easily, but I need your confirmation that it'll be worth my troubles.

constant_k said...

The hunt will probaby take place entirely on the 25th. Part one will start late morning (maybe 10 am), part two may be directly after it (4-5 hours later, prolly), or we may wait until slightly later in the evening.

And houle, it'll soooo be worth it.

Josh said...

i'd give this shirt right off my back if i had the nerve to say

swalker said...

The first bvoard game part shoudl definitely take place in your basement wqith creepy mood lighting (i.e. a single bare bulb).

Jason said...

jeez, sam, was your house burning down when you made that comment?